Comcast, VZ-DSL, Galaxy; and service differences/problems

On 11/04/2010 02:54 PM, Rich Braun wrote:
> Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> noted:
>  =20
>> You get what you pay for.  If you have "real" needs for
>> bandwidth then why are you even looking at asymmetric DSL ...
>>    =20
> Forgive my pseudo-political commentary du jour during what is probably =
a very
> upsetting week for most of y'all, blue *or* red:  didn't the voters jus=
t point
> out a truism of American economics these days:
>
>   You *don't* usually get what you pay for.
>
> Having been in and out of the Internet biz for years, I can testify to =
the
> fact that providers charge whatever amount they feel like for whatever =
trivial
> feature set they feel like selling.  Pricing no longer has *anything* t=
o do
> with the actual cost of service delivery.  Period.  (I could apply the =
same
> argument to health care, but I think I'd better stick with my own indus=
try!)

> The above truism, beside a vague concern for our 401(k)s and home equit=
y 20
> years down the road, is why we're all mad as hell and not gonna take it=

> anymore... until we pony up for our Comcast/Verizon/RCN bill next month=
 ;-)

>  =20
Rich,
I think you need to go back to economics 101. One of the things I
learned a long time ago is that the price charged has nothing to do with
the cost. It is the marketplace that determines price. This is why you
can buy gas at a foo service station in Somerville and pay $1.6499 and
go to the same brand the same day in Medford and pay $1.6399. Both
stations get their delivery from the same truck. Another example from
the real world. Distron used to be the commissary for Burger King. BK
restaurants in Long Island used to pay more for their Whopper meat than
BK restaurants in Massachusetts yet the Distron commissary was located
in Long Island, and the food to Massachusetts was delivered by truck.
Believe me that the NY area stores used to yell and scream about that,
but it was based on market price. So, it is certainly true that the
providers charge what the market will bear, and those markets where
there is competition will see some lower prices, but these are not pure
markets.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846