GIT vs. CVS vs. SVN

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> All development will be done on the servers. The git repos will be
> backed up, but I have not yet decided on the best way to do this. All
> the project directories are on the NFS server.

Others are starting to catch up, but I used to have far and away the
fastest computer at my current job. Part of it was newer hardware, part
of it was more RAM, but most of it is that I run off my local disk and
most others were using Netapps over NFS.

When told people I could do a complete Linux kernel build in about
2-minutes and a typical incremental build in about 12-seconds, people
looked at me funny. (These days I am not the only one using my local disk.)

I use git repositories that are both on my local disk and on the Netapp.
The local disk is way faster. If you are putting things on your server
for safety, there might be another way to do that without losing the
speed of a local disk.

-kb