GIT vs. CVS vs. SVN

On 11/10/2010 07:07 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Although there's nothing*wrong*  with what you're saying, you seem to be
> applying the opposite of logic.  A small development team is very conducive
> to svn (centralized) and you get benefits by doing so, as mentioned in my
> other email.  And, since you have a small development team, you don't get
> the main benefits offered by git (decentralized.)
>
> With a decentralized system, the backup plan is unclear...  Literally
> everyone's laptop or workstation or whatever they're using must be backed
> up.  N times the data to backup, if you're supporting N users.  But
> obviously if centralized, you just backup the central repo, and then you can
> make a calculated assessment of risk, to backup peoples' laptops or not.
Actually, we have a backup plan in place. As I did mention, people would
not be able to work directly from their laptops since all the
development tools and products are on the servers in this specific case.
If they use their home directories they are fully backed up as is the
git central project directories. But you do make a good point. But, even
CVS (I'm not as familiar with SVN) if your build area is not backed up,
you modify sources in your workspace, but those are not backed up unless
you do a commit. I've lost stuff I've modified because I forgot to
commit. Every system has its strengths and weaknesses.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix