Hobbit's netcat

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 07:32:54AM -0500, Anthony Gabrielson wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2010, at 7:05 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:46:28PM -0500, Anthony Gabrielson wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>    Does anyone have any advice on getting Hobbit's netcat to build (and run properly) on Ubuntu 10.10?  Anyway, it compiles but when I run with backpipes It sefaults.
> >>
> >> Here is the build output:
> >> agabriel at ubuntu:~/netcat/netcat110$ make linux
> >
> > Is there a reason that Ubuntu's version won't do for you?
> > They're on 1.10-38, and have been for four releases.
> >
> > Failing that, did you do an apt-get build-dep against the
> > package, and an apt-get source, so you have all their
> > dependencies and patches available?
> >
> > -dsr-
>
> The Ubuntu version of netcat (OpenBSD) isn't nearly as powerful as Hobbit's.  Hobbit has the -e option, while admittedly a security hole is a lot of fun and the OpenBSD version doesn't have anything that matches that option.  Also the options for backpipe seem alot less complicated.
>
> So your second question is apart of the reason why I'm posting.  The only Ubuntu references to this version of netcat ends in the version 7.xx tree.  So, I may have missed something - in fact I'm hoping I did.  Do you know which package is in the repo is Hobbit's netcat?

netcat-traditional, as opposed to netcat-openbsd.

aptitude search netcat will reveal:
netcat6 - TCP/IP swiss army knife with IPv6 support
netcat-openbsd - TCP/IP swiss army knife
netcat-traditional - TCP/IP swiss army knife
netcat - TCP/IP swiss army knife -- transitional package

among others.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.