Thanks, but open source != selflessness

Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> Combined with our tradition of Thanksgiving, it compels me to send
> out this thank you.
>
> Of particular relevance is the fact that the Free Software community
> embodies the spirit of selflessness, giving, compassion and a larger
> world-view described in the Tibetan / Buddhist / Bodhisattva traditions (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva).

I agree with the sentiment of giving thanks to fellow open source
software contributors, but I think you ascribe more selflessness to the
community than is deserved.

I tend to think that the open source model works perfectly fine under
the core principles of capitalism - that individuals act in their own
self interest - it just doesn't necessarily involve the exchange of money.

If, as a software using consumer, I'm unsatisfied with the for-money
software offerings (due to poor support, unresponsive to feature
requests, inability to integrate or modify due to the closed nature),
then choosing open source is in my self interest. Contributing code,
documentation, bug reports, and peer support just happens to be the cost
levied for that choice. There isn't necessary anything altruistic about
it. Merely the need for enough imagination to see that your
contributions are what feeds the system and makes it possible for you
obtain the finished product.

The concepts are a little fuzzier once you remove money and laws from
the equation. Is contributing to open source more abstract like karma,
or is not contributing more concrete like stealing?

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA