Using an SSD as swap?

Has anyone tried using an SSD (or part of an SSD) as a swap device?

My laptop has only about 3 GB of RAM (4 GB physically installed, but
the BIOS only gives access to 3.3 GB).  It bogs down under heavy RAM
use.  By removing the DVD, I could add a second drive.  One thought
would be to get an SSD for my root and swap partition.  I would expect
swap to behave much better on an SSD.

Unfortunately, while my laptop is SATA, the BIOS doesn't enable AHCI
(don't ask why...), so I'd want an SSD that performs well enough
without NCQ.  I otherwise like the laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400 w/17"
WUXGA screen, Radeon graphics -- don't want to run proprietary
drivers, easy enough to replace things) and don't want to drop another
$1000 on a replacement yet, since I've only had it 2.5 years.  It
seems to be rather hard to find WUXGA screens these days; everyone
seems to be going to 1920x1080 and somehow selling it as a feature.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org>

--Eric Crampton