ATI vs. nVidia graphics

On Dec 2, 2010, at 5:44 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Or is this purely about limiting yourself to 100% pure open source drivers?

Primarily.  If you go closed-source, both ATI and nVidia have high level support for recent video cards.  It's required for CUDA and Stream.  Then again, if you are doing CUDA or Stream then you need to use the closed-source drivers.

If you want multi-head with nVidia then you have to go closed-source drivers.  I'm not sure about ATI at this point in time.  Aside from those, my current understanding and experience is that the recent open-source nv driver is better than the recent open-source radeon driver.  Go back to ATI Rage and nVidia's counterpart and it flips the other way.

--Rich P.