So little actual software development in software engineering roles

I feel your pain.

The term generalist seems to be a death knell too.  I have 15+ years
of mainframe
software development then went into systems programming (mainframe) that is
basically systems administration.  Then went to UNIX of various
flavors of administration.

But finding jobs at any level is scarce in my area ... especially once
the hair gray's no
matter your knowledge level.  ( I went to a 'head hunter' firm a few
weeks ago and they
gave me a quick 'education level test', even though I haven't worked
for $$ in several
years I still blew the top off their test and ruined their curve they
used in sales, so they
told me. ... But still no interviews ... life goes on.)

Hang in there.

>From what I can tell, it seems that building your own company might be
the only way
out for those of us with 'to much experience or knowledge to be
salable'.  I have
always shied away from being a 'boss', I guess that is to my detriment
at this point.

Best of luck...