Suggestion for KVM over IP

On 01/17/2011 09:27 AM, Dave Peters wrote:
> All,
>
> My company is looking to purchase a KVM over IP. Any suggestion for KVM=
 over IP is appreciated.
We had originally purchased a Rose Electronics UltraView Remote for our
office because our company has a lot of Rose stuff. Big mistake. Stay
away from this unit. The issue was that the unit would frequently go
offline and require a reboot. That sucks when you have a shared computer
room where we don't have a key.

We sent the Rose unit back to service for the 3rd or 4th time and they
wanted to charge us for it, so we told them where to shove it, and we
bought an Aten CS1716i.
http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pcid=3D2006041110563001&psid=
=3D20060411131311002&pid=3D20100104165819001&layerid=3DsubClass1

The unit has been online without a glitch for over 6 months with the
only downtime being power outages. A couple of things I like about it is
that it has a front panel where you can select the unit you want or
simply tell if the system you want is powered on. Lately I've had a
system whose network interface has been turning off so the only way I
could get to it without rebooting is via the Aten unit. The unit comes
with an MSIE client as well as a Java client. The only issue I've been
having with it is the syncing of the mice. There are a number of ways
you can resync the mouse, but you also need to make sure that the mouse
acceleration on both the hosts are set the same. For my purpose, it
works well, and the Aten unit was less expensive than the repair for the
Rose unit. The Aten unit is a 1U unit in contrast to 2Us for the Rose.
You do need special cables to connect the Aten to the individual
computers. In any case, I would recommend the Aten.

There are other excellent units out there, but I think that the Aten
will be good for price/performance.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846