Suggestion for KVM over IP

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> > From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
> > Of Dave Peters
> >
> > My company is looking to purchase a KVM over IP. Any suggestion for KVM
> > over IP is appreciated.
>
> Most systems have built-in now, ilom, ipmi, remote console ... names and
> functionality vary from vendor to vendor.  Sometimes certain things (like
> remote gui and/or remote mapping of optical drive) can be optional or
> a-la-carte.
>
> Maybe that's not helpful in your situation.

Depends on your environment needs too.  Using built in iLo/DRAC etc requires
more network switches and possible VLAN setup, separate IP's for every
server, etc.  Using an external KVM over IP is a separate network.  Also,
both HP(iLo) and Dell(DRAC) have an additional cost for their interfaces.
 So you'll need to weigh the cost.  If you're using a mixed network of
multiple vendors, having one common interface such as an external KVM would
be better.

Also, some KVM over IP systems also have serial interfaces so you can
integrate your network equipment (routes, switches, firewalls, load
balancers, etc)

-matt