Suggestion for KVM over IP

On 01/17/2011 10:06 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Beha=
lf
>> Of Dave Peters
>>
>> My company is looking to purchase a KVM over IP. Any suggestion for KV=
>> over IP is appreciated.
> Most systems have built-in now, ilom, ipmi, remote console ... names an=
> functionality vary from vendor to vendor.  Sometimes certain things (li=
ke
> remote gui and/or remote mapping of optical drive) can be optional or
> a-la-carte.
>
> Maybe that's not helpful in your situation.

One other issues is that some KVMs are single user. The Rose unit I had
was single user where only one host could be used at the same time,
where the Aten unit (CS1716i) supports multiple users concurrently.
Additionally some units require a proprietary application. For instance,
the Aten has both a Windows and Java client and the hosts can be
accessed via any web browser. There was some reason why I did not
recommend the Raritan. Prices range from under $1000 to several
thousands. I think the Rose unit was about $2000. We also have a rack
mounted screen. I think you have to look at the features and the prices.
If you are going to have people using the KVM actively most of the time,
then your selection might be for one of the higher priced units, but for
IT use such as installing software and system configuration, the lower
priced Aten unit is more than enough.

I did mention mouse sync. With the Aten unit you can toggle the system
mouse off. It was well worth the $800 we spent on it.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846