keyboard trends

> Loud clicky keys might be fine for a desktop keyboard, but they're a
> terrible idea for a laptop that is likely to be used in a crowded room.

I have to admit I even find clicky keys annoying when others are using
them in the same office space as mine.

I haven't used a Microsoft Natural style (ergo, split keys) keyboard in
years, but when I did, I loved it.  I even got used to the "soft touch"
keys.

> And yes, keyboards, especially laptop keyboards, need to be more
> durable. I had to replace the keyboards on both my previous laptops (not
> the current one -- yet) mid-life because I wore them out.

I had a Dell Latitude for several years of good and hard service, but I
went through 3 keyboards and 2 trackpads.  At least you can get them
cheap on eBay and Dell even supplies (or at least then, supplied) free
PDF manuals on how to do your own field replacement of pretty much any part.

Ian