[OT] Interesting Windows IP issue

That is really odd. Usually, when a network card is unable to obtain a DHCP
address, it defaults to a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, which is Microsoft's default.

I have seen similar behavior with DHCP at work, where the host has a IP address
issued by DHCP, but it is conflicting with another node on the network with the
same address. And the host refuses to release the address.

One place to search is for the Assigned IP is under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\..\Parameters\TCPIP. Hit F3
again. There is another Registry Entry storing it under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\Interfaces\......
 Hit F3 again and repeat above.  You may be able to remove the key under
Services where the IP address is stored and attempt to do a IPCONFIG/Release and
Renew. Microsoft tends to store stuff under multiple locations.

Good luck.
Paul