[OT] Interesting Windows IP issue

I'm pretty sure it was not wireless. We do have a wireless, but it will
pass the DHCP through to the firewall where we will get a 10. address.
All of our office jacks are connected to a Netgear GB Ethernet switch
that is connected to a SonicWall. There should not be a rogue DHCP
server. Again, I tested the connection with my Linux laptop. We also
moved to a different office and I know that connection is good. The
issue is something with his laptop. Additionally his wireless was disable=
d.

On 01/22/2011 03:51 PM, ninurta2005 wrote:

> A rogue DHCP server crossed my mine too. It was odd that under Linux, i=
t grabbed=20
> a IP address from the Lan-10 subnet, but under Windows, it went with a =
address=20
> from the 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet; I am guessing using the same Ethernet =
cable. As=20
> a rule, you can't have DHCP addresses issued from two different private=
 address=20
> range subnets on the same ethernet cable via the same subnet. Since Cat=
5E was=20
> mentioned, I suspected that it wasn't getting a wireless IP. Laptops wi=
ll have=20
> two ethernet connections, one for wireless and one for cabled Ethernet.=
=20

> Disable the wireless radio to be sure, it is only way to assure the hos=
t is=20
> receiving a wired DHCP request response.
>
> If you have a testbed that is also using the Lan-10 Private range, atta=
ch the=20
> laptop to that network and see if the  problem follows the laptop. I cr=
eated one=20
> using Openwall with DHCP enabled. Ditto for IPCOP and Smoothwall which =
works=20
> just as well.
>
> Best of luck,
> Paul