sendmail makes my head spin :-)

It sounds more like a DNS issue than anything.  Here are some ideas that
I am just spit balling.

1.  The Engineering side has a DNS server that also does caching.  It
has entries dor the servers that it needs to know about and then will do
a lookup to the IT DNS servers that it does not know about.

2.  Down and dirty.  Maybe editing the /etc/hosts file would work.  Just
make a list of the host names and the IP addresses (provided that they
are static) and then it does not matter what the IT department has for a
DNS entry.

I am sure there are lots of other ways to go about this, but this is
what I would do.

Tom