10 gigabit ethernet

Really?  Did you mean to say switch?  I normally think a single NIC will
cost that much.

> I now need a small switch. Are there any 8 port dumb 10gBase-T switches? I
> can only find 24 port switches for >$15,000. I can find a few gigabit
> switches with 2 10 GB uplink ports - that isn't any better than a
> crossover cable. But nothing with 4 or 8 ports. Any ideas?

Ahh.  I guess you did mean "NIC" in the first paragraph.  Good.  I mean ...
Dang it.  It would have been nice if you found switches for $500...

Actually, a switch with 2x 10G uplinks is better than a crossover because at
least you have the option of using other systems on the same switch at 1G.

I know they're out there...  For whatever reason, 10G seems to require 10G
module bays instead of simply an SFP module.  So after buying a switch, you
need the module bay adapter, plus the SFP.  It's real expensive.  But here's
one example of a switch that has 4x 10G slots:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122157