Your View on DPI

I will answer the question, but everything I say is only me.  I speak
for no one other than myself, and how I feel.

I know this Allot Communications.  At one time I had them in the Cable
System I was running in Michigan, until I was able to remove them.

I don't believe that is really an issue anymore in the US.  The guide
lines set forth by the FCC pretty much states a few things, but
basically you are not allowed to discriminate.  You are allowed to
manage your network but you need to stay above board.

My personal feelings about DPI comes from two points of view.  The first
is as someone who has been the Sr. Geek for a cable network.  The second
comes from that of a Internet User.

1.  As a user, I find them reprehensible.  In no way should anyone be
able to see my data traffic, and decide for me that my Hulu download
should have a lower priority than my email traffic, or vice versa.  Also
it is not right for someone to have the ability and the need to
"inspect" my packets and do with them as they wish, (I think that
everyone remembers all those ACK resets to fight P2P traffic).  DPI was
also used by NebUadd to identify advertisements and then substitute in
what they want to put in.  This screams in the face of privacy issues.
My feelings are that if the USPS is not allowed to read and decided if
you should get a package/letter or at what rate you should get it, other
than the postage on it, then how can someone look at our internet traffic.

2.  a.  From a technical point of view I was always able to show the
cost of a DPI system over a 3 year period vs. just upgrading equipment
and buying lager connections (OC12 to Gig or Gig to 10Gig) was the same
price then why would we put an extra device into the network (Something
else in the data path to fail).
     b. DPI was also installed in the Core or the AGG part of the
network.  This is not the portion of the network that seems to have
congestion.  It is the access portion of the network that is
congested.   So why would I try to adjust traffic in the core.  It just
did not fit well with what was trying to be done.

Now I do believe that network management is something that needs to be
done.  It should be used to make sure everyone has a fair shake at
getting good service, but I feel that it needs to be done at the access
layer, and in a way that does not cause privacy concerns.  And if
anything is done it should be done by something that is really only
looking at bits and bytes on the access layer of the network, not
something that is in  the flow of data.

Tom