Looking for advice on where to find software engineers

On 01/27/2011 12:00 PM, discuss-request-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org wrote:

As a software engineer who is currently looking for a good gig, I wish
there were "a" place. There isn't. At my last position, I was
interviewing people looking for good engineers, and some were good, but
management didn't like them, and the ones management wanted were dolts.
So we kept looking.

In my view, I think the role and job of "software engineer," is in the
process of extreme change. Some people like the changes and others do
not. Extreme programing, pair programming, and agile, to name a few,
alter the way in which software is developed around a more social model.
Old timers like me, and hard core hackers, not always, but frequently
find these approaches stressful and distracting. My experience with
"extreme programming" and "team rooms" left a bad taste in my mouth.
People burn out quickly. Personalities become more important than
ability. Really bright people may not fit in the social atmosphere. You
end up spending a lot more "close" time with people whom may not be your
first choice for social interaction. A bad see can affect the whole team
quickly.

After the programming environment issue, is the oh too specific search
criteria. Too often the job requirements are so specific that really
good people are excluded because they lacked experience with an esoteric
or ancillary technology. Often times a "good" engineer can pick up the
specialty quickly and do better than a mediocre engineer who has
experience. A person with a lot of experience with a lot of different
technologies has a proven track record of being able to deal with
different tech. Someone who only has the few things that you think you
need may be a little less able to adapt.

Where am I heading? Well, you say you want to find software engineers,
but it isn't that easy. You need to find good people who can do a good
job, *and* fit into your organization. That last part is key. In the
Boston area, there are more great software engineers than anywhere else
I know, but the problem is they are excluded too easily because of the
assumed glut of candidates on the market. At my last job, it wasn't that
we didn't get a lot of resumes or couldn't find people, I believe the
selection criteria used before they were even considered tended to
filter out the better candidates.

Its hard to find good people who do good work and fit into your
organization. I don't think it matters much where you look. I think it
matters more that you look for people who have proven to be flexible and
capable, especially those who can adapt and apply themselves in new
ways. Those are the people you want if you want to do something interesting.