Jeopardy / Watson Lecture at MIT

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Kurt Keville wrote:
> Well, the good news is that it's all over but the crying... apparently
> you can watch Watson beat up on us carbon-based units for 3 nights in
> a row....
>
> here is Watson making mincemeat of mankind's best hope...
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/geekend/ibm-watson-supercomputer-beats-jeopardy-champs-in-practice-round/6546

I wouldn't be too worried about HAL^^^Watson, it shouldn't be any more
threatening to us humans or our abilities than google or alltheweb was a
decade ago. They've gotten better with the language and weighing of
information, but when all is said and done, its just a huge parallel
information retrieval system.

It is one thing to index Hamlet, it is quite another to write or
understand it.

The real value of something like Watson is in interpreting huge data
sets, the danger is letting that part of our brains atrophy.