oracle xe question

Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> writes:

> We use oracle XE for some of our products. Normally, when XE is
> installed everything is installed in /usr/lib/oracle/xe. I want to be
> able to move the physical database (/usr/lib/oracle/xe/oradata/) to
> another HD. Certainly one way to do this is to simply move the entire
> directory and symlink oradata to the new location or simply move the
> entire xe tree.

    It's been a long time, but if the combination of memory and a
quick glance at something modern is something to go by:

There is a config file in ${ORACLE_HOME}/dbs/init${ORACLE_SID}.ora .
It will have some paths in it, most critically the control_files.  The
control files, in turn, contain all the other pathnames that oracle
knows about.  You don't change paths in the (binary) control file
yourself, you let oracle do it with appropriate "alter ..."
statements, like "alter tablespace foo rename datafile
'/path/to/original' to '/new/path'"

    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has written a utility for it.

    I wouldn't be suprised if you'd rather do it the unix way, as
oracle's way seems much more work without some coding support.