kernel panic

Jack Coats wrote:
> Even though it is a laptop, open it up...and clean it out.

I do that about once a year and did so in January when I upgraded the RAM.

The crash frequency has perhaps increased in frequency some since the
RAM upgrade, but the problem was definitely there prior to the RAM
upgrade. The increase might lend creditability to the thermal theory,
assuming the 4 GB module gives off enough additional heat, compared to
the 2 GB module it replaced, to make a difference.

(The RAM upgraded raised other issues: the intention was to go from 2 2
GB modules to 2 4 GB modules. The Intel chipset supposedly supports it.
But I couldn't get the machine to POST with both new modules. Only with
either of the 4 GB modules alone, or in combination with one of the old
2 GB modules. So I left it at 6 GB. Acer tells me a BIOS upgrade won't
address the problem, and their official stance is that the machine only
supports 4 GB max (clearly not true). I also notice on startup it
reports a memory bus speed of 800 MHz, instead of the expected 1066 MHz.
Could be the old 2 GB module "dragging it down." I haven't investigated
yet.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro