Diagnosing connection issue

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM,<edwardp-jjFNsPSvq+iXDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>
>> This happens with both Linux and Windows, so it cannot be system
>> software if two operating systems are involved.
>>
> To be fair, both systems could have something wrong with them.   Given
> that the more straightforward causes are being eliminated more
> atypical reason have to be
> considered.   Trying a recent Linux LiveCD of some sort to check on
> this possibility is one option.
>
> Some more ideas:
>
> 1. Maybe pings work because they are small packets.   Maybe something
> is flaky in handling full size packets.  Try specifying packet sizes
> to ping (ping -s).
> 2. Check stats on your network card with "ifconfig" to look for
> errored or dropped packets.  If your home router has a status page
> with similar info check that as well.
>
> Good Luck,
> Bill Bogstad

This is one system with both OS' installed, it came pre-installed with
32-bit Windows Vista, then I installed 64-bit Ubuntu afterwards.

I bought a new NIC (Netgear) this afternoon and it came right up in
Linux.  The card (per the box) will work with Windows from 98SE all the
way to and including Vista.

As of now, the system has been up for 15 minutes and I have yet to see
any connection loss.  :-)