drupal on linux?

With Drupal on the top of my head (I just upgraded a couple sites) I can
offer some suggestions.

Drupal's model is very much database dependent. That is good in some
ways but problematic in others. It is difficult, for instance, to change
databases from MySQL to PostgreSQL. You more or less have the choose
correctly the first time. (hint use PostgreSQL)

Second, the mainstream modules and content are fairly stable and work
fine with PG, a lot of 3rd party modules may assume MySQL and not
function correctly with PG.

Lastly, and this is important, while the raw structure of your site may
be defined in the theme, the content is defined in the database. One of
the things that drupal uses is the idea of "blocks" to layout content.
These blocks are defined in the database along with the content,
comments, and the users. All in one big messy mess. This means you can't
stage and deploy changes to a site. You have to apply them live. This is
a problem for me as I come from a world where you work on a "dev" site,
and then apply changes that have been through QA to the live site. There
was no automated way of doing this with drupal. This may be a deal
breaker in some environments.

www.linuxpcrobot.org and www.mohawksoft.org are both drupal 6.20 running
on PostgrSQL.

As for books? I hate to say it, don't waste your money.  drupal.org's
main site has some good docs. Setup an experimental site and play around.