drupal on linux?

On 2/16/2011 3:47 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:

> I suspect most users of Wordpress and Drupal don't need that feature.
> They only have production.
>
> I personally just do it manually.  My laptop is dev, and there's a test
> and prod on my server.  Easy enough for a few not heavily trafficked sites.

How do you do this manually with Drupal?  It would seem to me that you'd
need to know a whole lot about Drupal's internal architecture and what's
stored in which tables in order construct a query that would grab data
related to the structure of the website but not affect the content or
the users or other things where the authoritative version of the data is
on the production server.  Also, some of the data will almost certainly
contain keys that are references to records in other tables on the
development site.  Those references will have to be modified to be
correct on the production site.  And it's likely that not all of this
can be done just with SQL, since some tables contain serialized
representations of PHP data structures.  If there's an easy solution
that produces correct results, I'd love to know what it is.

    Mark Rosenthal