Sandboxing & System 76 Laptops

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:11:44AM -0500, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> My question is sort of cross platform.
>
> I have an 86 year old user here at my work.  He's very bright, but no matter
> how many times I tell him not to click weird email links or strange websites
> he does.  The result is a weekly visit into his office to run a 45 minute
> sweep for spyware, viruses and malware.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good sandboxing program that may
> help eliminate this problem given I can never get this guy to practice safe
> computing.
>
> He runs windows so a Windows sandboxing utility suggestion would be
> appreciated.
>
> I'm contemplating a new laptop that would run Linux, preferably a System 76
> laptop.  Any thoughts on System 76?  Any good Linux sandboxing programs out
> there?

Let's answer all your questions at once.

I've bought several laptops from System76; all have been good,
solid machines. If you like their particular supported Ubuntu,
all will be well and peachy. If not, well, the hardware all
works with reasonably new Linux kernels.

For your security-unconscious user: generate a Windows VM image
that is exactly what he needs. Force him to save all his data to
a network drive. Once a week, kill his VM and replace it with a
fresh copy.

If you happen to be doing VM under Linux, KVM is generally the
way to go.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.