30% Apple

On Feb 17, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Matthew Gillen wrote:

> On 02/17/2011 10:13 AM, Dan O'Donovan wrote:
>> It's also worth noting that Apple seldom make choices that result in a loss of experience for ... their customers
>
> Really?  Does iTunes/iPod support open formats like Ogg or Flac?  No.

Do most (non-lug-subscribing) users care that relatively esoteric
formats aren't supported? I'm going to go with "No".

> Sure, you can replace the firmware on your ipod with rockbox or the
> like, but that's not exactly the Apple experience, is it?

Does Ogg or Flac playback decode in hardware or software? If its in
software, well, that's a compelling reason for not supporting it right
there -- it'll slaughter battery life.

> I would argue that the very existence of projects like rockbox (at least
> it's i-device ports) and the various IPhone jailbreaking efforts point
> to the fact that Apple /does/ sacrifice user-experience for the sake of
> their own business interests.

Is supporting more things badly really better for most (non-lug-subscribing)
users than doing less things very well?

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org