30% Apple

Richard Pieri wrote:
> What they are bitching about is the requirement that any application
> that can purchase content from within itself must make that content
> purchasable through Apple's storefront and must do so at the same or
> better price point as the developer's own storefront.

My understanding is that the concern was that Apple would be taking it's
cut on subscriptions, in perpetuity. (Not necessarily inconsistent with
what you stated.)

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/15/apples-digital-newsstand-just-disrupted-the-publishing-industry/

  Apple is taking a 30 percent cut of all digital subscription revenues.
  ... Apple is saying if we deliver a paying customer, we will take 30
  percent  of their subscription dollars in perpetuity as long as they
  consume  your media on our devices. ...

And...

  Not only would [publishers] be handing over a substantial portion of
  their revenues to Apple, but they get virtually no data in
  return--data about customers. It's that credit card data they use to
  do their consumer marketing and sell those readers to advertisers.

  ...new entrants with nothing to lose will build readerships on the
  iPad. It's probably never been a better time to start a digital
  magazine.

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA