30% Apple

On Feb 18, 2011, at 8:02 AM, Jack Coats wrote:

> Just curious, is it possible to get apps to install on an iPhone from
> a non-Apple store?

Yes, with two caveats.

First is developers, who can run their own apps on their own units.  I'm not up on the particulars, sorry.

Second is via jailbreak.  The devteam jailbreak tools usually install Cydia, a non-Apple application store application.

> If so, can the non-Apple store be made the default store when looking for apps?

Not as such.  On jailbroken units, Cydia coexists with Apple's store.  They are separate, independent, and rarely are apps available in both but neither do they interfere with each other.

--Rich P.