30% Apple

On 02/18/2011 11:29 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 02/17/2011 11:36 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
>>> Of David Kramer
>>>
>>> Android is simply not an option for me until they get their head (and my
>>> data) out of the clouds and back on my own computer.
>> Explain that?
>>
>> I am an android user, and I have no experience that I can relate to your
>> comment above.
> Things like gmail, google calendar, address book are in the Google
> cloud. You don't have to use the cloud-based stuff,

If the calendar/address/etc apps only sync with Google, how do you use
those apps without using Google?  Type in all your information in on the
phone and never back it up?  Just use it as a dumb phone?

Are there other Android calendar/address/etc apps that sync with some
desktop app(s), and are available on Android Market (since AT&T modifies
their Android phones so you can't install software from anywhere else)?

> but one really nice
> advantage is you don't have to sync your data by physically plugging in
> the Smartphone.

Yes, I realize I look at this different from most people.  It continues
to amaze me that people who spend a lot of time hardening their Linux
boxes and use PGP keys on their email simply hand all their sensitive
information willingly to commercial third parties, but I realize that it
is so.  I would rather have to plug a cable into my phone to back it up
to my computer than have bikini-clad vixens lovingly convey it to
somebody else's.  But I don't always have to.  Many of the apps I use
can wirelessly sync or transfer files.