dual monitors

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 2/21/2011 6:15 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
>> Matthew Gillen wrote:
>>> Are the monitors of the same resolution?
>> No.
>
> I think this might be part of the issue.

So I've heard, but the NVIDIA driver seems to handle mixed resolutions
fine. I've used it before with different resolutions when driving a
VGA-to-composite TV adapter or driving an LCD TV, but both were limited
duration uses so I didn't try running OOo while that setup was active.

I would expect mixed resolutions to either prevent two displays from
working entirely, or cause rendering artifacts or something at a low
layer. The problems I'm seeing seems to be happening at a few layers of
abstraction higher, where resolution should be irrelevant.

> gnome: 2.32 (fedora 14)
> nvidia: 260.19.36

Both a fair bit newer, so that might make a difference.

>> Is your primary screen on the right or left?
>
> Left.

I suspect that helps reduce the occurrence of problems. The coordinate
system for the desktop places zero on the left monitor. If an
application is placing things based on absolute coordinates, it may
result in them appearing on the leftmost monitor.

> When you maximize a window, does it stick to one screen or does it go
> across the whole desktop?

Sticks to its containing screen.

Much like a GNOME workspace (viewport). There is an awareness of the
containing display. Compiz (or is it the WM?), for example, knows to
make the borders a bit sticky when placing windows near the screen
edges, even the one shared between the two displays.

So TwinView seems to create a workspace-like container for each display
within your workspace.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro