dual monitors

On Feb 22, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Stephen Jahl wrote:
>> How is the positioning of your monitors configured? The nvidia-xsettings
>> app allows you to choose things like 'Left of', 'Right of', and
>> 'absolute'. I've seen some anomalies on my computer when either one of
>> the monitors is set to 'absolute' positioning.
>
> I specified "right of" when configuring the new primary display, but
> after merging the changes into xorg.conf and rebooting, it has changes
> to Absolute. I figured that was normal.
>
> I have noticed that if I try to take a screen shot the image is of the
> entire desktop spanning the two monitors (which deviates from the
> workspace model I previously described), with black pixels filling in
> the region left by one of the monitors having fewer vertical pixels.
>
> I haven't looked into the bug reports for OOo, but at least one of the
> apps having problems (DockBarX) had an existing report describing the
> same symptom I observed on a dual-monitor setup. So at least some of
> what I'm observing isn't unique to my setup.

I'll throw a few cents into the conversation... My mythtv master backend
is now sporting an nVidia GT220. It sits in the rack in my basement,
hooked up to both a 1280x1024 LCD (through a kvm) and a 1920x1080 HDTV,
about 50 feet away (via an HDMI cable run through the ceiling and walls).

The box runs RHEL6, with nVidia's 260.19.36 drivers. Dual-head works just
fine, even with different resolutions. I'd suggest possibly trying the
latest nVidia drivers.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org