30% Apple

On 02/22/2011 10:38 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 09:51 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
>>> Of David Kramer
>>>
>>> AT&T modifies
>>> their Android phones so you can't install software from anywhere else
>> What would be the motivation for AT&T to do such a thing?  Does this
>> statement warrant a fact-check?

Since that was both shocking and a big problem for me, I did do a lot of
fact checking when I made the initial decision two years ago, including
berating several AT&T salesdroids.  I verified it was still the case
before replacing my non-waterproof iPhone 3GS, and that's still the case
with their later Android offerings.

As far as exploring the software options for the Android, they make it
pretty hard unless you already have the phone.  Now there's enough
around you could probably just Google, but not so much two years ago.

> You can install software from the Google marketplace, or you can develop
> an application using the SDK and install it on the phone. Additionally,
> I have installed an app using the QIC code on an application's web site.
> However, AT&T Androids come with some applications preinstalled, such as
> Yahoo search, but I now have Google Search as the default search and
> Dolphin browser as the default browser. I am running on Android 2.1 on a
> non-rooted Android. For instance, to install Opera, you go to the Opera
> web site, http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/, and scan the QIC code,
> but that brings up a browser in the Android, but as I mentioned, I have
> installed apps directly from the QIC code. Additionally, while the AT&T
> Navigator app is installed permanently on my Android, I was easily able
> to install Google Maps with full navigation capabilities.

Good to know.  Thanks.