list netiquette

On 02/25/2011 09:54 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
> On 02/25/2011 09:41 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> [snip]
>> One issue is that by replying both to the sender and the list, the
>> thread gets broken. Depending on the speed of the list server, when
>> someone replies to the sender and the list, the direct message general=
ly
>> gets to the sender before the message sent by the list gets there. If
>> you reply to the one sent to you by the poster, then that breaks the
>> thread. These are relatively minor issues. I only see one message, not=

>> both.
>>
> I don't understand why: when I "Reply All", the replies should have
> the same headers. How does that break threading?

When you reply all, as above, I replied to:
1. Bill Horne <bill-CIZd1d4GmLheoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org>
2. discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org

In this case, my email program will send out 2 messages, the first
directly to you, the second to the listserv. The listserv will then send
the message to all the non-digest members. I stand corrected, it does
not break the thread, but it does affect the timing. It is very possible
for me to reply to your copy of the message before some list members
actually get the reply from the list.
The message from the listserv contains:

	<mailto:discuss-request-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org?subject=3Dsubscribe>

The message that wqs sent directly to you does not, so that while it does=
 not affect the threading other than the timing, it does prevent the repl=
y-to list.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846