Help Desk Software

I swear by JIRA and its cousins from Atlassian Software.  Not free but one
really cool thing is that the company sells each of its major packages for
US$10, perpetually licensed for up to 10 users.  I now use JIRA at home to
keep all my notes and task-list items for personal development work.

I suspect that FishEye and/or some of their other packages would do all the
release/change management stuff that you want, beyond ticket tracking.  And
its ticket-tracking is like RT on hyper-steroids, you can attach many more
fields of data in a more user-friendly way to each ticket than you can with
the open-source stuff.

Have been using JIRA since '07.

It's rare that I find myself enthusiastic about a non-open-source product when
there are open source equivalents, but this one's worth a look.  Can't say why
it is that the open-source ticket tracking stuff is so obsolescent: I guess
maybe open-source developers are drawn to more-glamorous fields of endeavor.

-rich