Three Days with NOOKcolor

On 02/26/2011 11:39 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> The stock OS is based on Android 2.1 (Eclair) with some customizations =
made by B&N.  The nutshell version is that the company wants a closed env=
ironment to deliver a high-quality reader, and the devs there are working=
 on a B&N-centric app store.  So, if you're looking for an ebook reader..=
=2E get a Kindle :).  I don't say that because of B&N's policies; I say i=
t because I think that Kindle is a superior reader.
Why do you say the Kindle is a better reader. Two advantages the Kindle
has over the Color Nook is that it uses E Ink that allows it to be
readable in bright sunlight, and since it is not backlit the battery
lasts longer.
One advantage of the Color Nook is that you can read it in very dim
light, like a dark bedroom. You can change the font, the backround (such
as black on white, white on black). It has a speaker so you can listen
to audio books. It can also display graphics better than the Kindle.

So, as far as an ereader is concerned, the Kindle is an excellent
product at $139 (WiFI). My mother, daughter, and aunt have Kindles and
love them.

One thing I like to do in my Nook Color is to surf the web when I am in
a WiFi connected place as an alternative to the Smartphone. One negative
is that I can bring up gmail, set up the address and subject but not the
body. Richard, could you try that with your Froyo-based Nook using the
web-based gmail.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846