Lightweight network monitoring program

Jerry,

Here are some step-by-step instructions on installing nagios:
http://outlookoutbox.blogspot.com/2010/11/nagios-installation-step-by-step_15.html

<http://outlookoutbox.blogspot.com/2010/11/nagios-installation-step-by-step_15.html>On
another note, it sounds like you just want a ping check to see if these
hosts are up?  Couldn't you dump ping results to a file, have the file
searched for UNREACHABLES and then use sendmail to email you if one of the
hosts doesn't show up?  Seems like maybe 20 lines of code or less (far less
I would think) would take care of this.

Chris