NAS and media server

Any recommendations for a good (preferably Linux-based) NAS and media server
box for a home network? At a minimum, it has got to be able to do automatic
backups of machines on the network, both Linux (rsync or sftp) and Windows
clients. Big plus if it can also serve media to an Xbox 360.

I have a beige box running BackupPC that has been working great for years,
but I think the hardware is on its last legs. Plus it's slow.