Abusive contracts

On Mar 10, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> But the solution is to provide corrective feedback by not accepting
> clauses that cross the line. Eventually they learn, and will adjust.

No.  They'll just hire someone who's willing to sign.  It's no different from handing pagers to SAs and DBAs and calling it 24-hour coverage.  What happens if you tell an employer that you won't carry the pager?  He'll hire someone who will.  Same thing.

> I've rarely encountered a contract from a client that didn't require
> modification.

I've yet to see an employer budge on the termination terms.  Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying that I've never seen it.

--Rich P.