O/T Need help / advice recovering file from an iPod

Sorry, off topic but I'm getting desperate.

I have an iPod Touch. I used an app called QuickVoice to record something *very* important to me after which I sync'd with my laptop. My son accidently deleted the recording and then thinking that he'd help (and stay out of trouble), he re-sync'd the iPod with the laptop thus wiping out the backup also.

This was a brand new Touch, I've added no apps except QuickVoice so the device should be somewhat clean.

Older iPods have a feature called "Disk Mode" which allows you to browse the file system via USB. The Touch, iPhone and presumably the iPad don't have that feature so you can't access it as a "USB drive" (when connected, you see a single folder which contains your photos).

I'm looking for anyone who has any knowledge about unlocking the file system or recovering deleted data from this type of device. I'm willing to pay for an undelete and/or unlock program but most of the ones that really claim they can do it appear to be questionable (malware?).

I tried the Apple store, they do not recover data and have no recommendations for undeleting.

I tried the company that created QuickVoice, they seem to be helping but still haven't answered my question (what naming convention should I look for in the data file?).

Any help, ideas, leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott