Android Tablet

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
> Of Mark Woodward
>
> Linux Access - I have to be able to get below the Android front to run
> ssh and stuff.

Beware.  Calling android "linux" is like calling OSX "netbsd."  Or like
calling Windows 7 "VMS."  (Well, the windows-vms connection is a stretch,
although the NT kernel does have components that trace all the way back to
VMS, or so folk legend and falsification would have you believe.)

Yes, android runs on a linux kernel.  But nowadays, what doesn't?  It's
entirely unlike any linux you've ever seen or heard of.  It doesn't even
have a /bin or /sbin or /usr directory...  No gcc, no python or perl or vi
or emacs or X11 or anything.  I don't suggest trying terribly hard to use it
in a way it wasn't intended to be used.

You can install SSHDroid and/or busybox from android market.  These are what
I use.  So you get at least basically functioning commands of the basic
functions, like "ls" for example.  That's a pretty important one, which is
not present in the factory image.

> full Linux tool set - Whether I have to put it on an SD card or what
> ever, I want to be able to use the standard Linux tools.

I'm sure you'll find some geeky way to do that if you try hard enough.  But
my advice would be - Don't spend a lot of time using pliers to pound nails,
or using the hammer to pound screws.