Android Tablet

let's not get into some flame wars over this.
Basically, the Android platform is designed as a portable GUI as you said.
But there are apps (both free$ and non-free($$) and you can get that
give you access to the Linux command line without rooting your
Android. If you install one of the terminal emulators, you can easily
ls system, and you will see bin, xbin, usr, and some other directories
you would expect to see.
Essentially, the Android is a Java platform using a specialized high
performance JVM.

IMHO, the tablet computers should eventually replace the most of the
netbooks and cut into laptop sales.