Android Tablet

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>>
>> Not completely. ?Game console is closer then microwave oven. They want
>> the app store model. ?No one would be buying these devices if they
>> were the equivalent of a TV, radio, or cable set top box. ?(Varied
>> media content, but functionality completely controlled by the device
>> vendor.)
>
> Tablets are, in the end, consumer black boxes. ?Push a button (or an icon on the screen) and something wonderful happens without any knowledge or understanding of what the button does or how that wonderful something works. ?That's what I mean when I refer to tablets and consoles as appliances. ?And while the

In that sense, all computing devices are black boxes.   The majority
of desktop computer users know as little about how their desktop
computer works as their cell phone.   A minority might have at some
time installed software by putting a CD in the disk drive, but I don't
see how that's significantly different from the download/app store
model.  They still just push buttons/click mice and shiny things
happen that they don't understand.   The download/app store model is
taking over desktop software as well.   Even Windows 7 has to some
extent changed to the app store model in the way you can do an in
place upgrade to more advanced versions using the "Windows anytime
upgrade" option.   I wouldn't be surprise if Microsoft distributes
Windows 8 (or whatever) via on-line upgrades from Windows 7.

> app store model doesn't apply to the microwave oven, take a look at some of the other appliances around. ?A state of the art sewing machine can be programmed -- with memory cards -- to do pretty much everything but load the thread and feed the cloth under the foot. ?That's not much different from iPad and Xoom.

Or the way most people treat their desktop.  The difference is that
with a desktop you CAN replace essentially all the software.  But most
consumers don't know or care.

Bill Bogstad