Las Vegas firm buys Unix...

On Apr 15, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> I know that The Open Group has sent a letter to Unxis. Unixs is
> currently NOT licensed to use the Unix or UnixWare trade names as,
> according to The Open Group, it was not transferrable, but Unxis could
> simply fill out a few forms. I don't see a serious issue here as it is a
> matter of filling out some forms and paying the fees.

That still leaves me with questions:

Why hasn't UnXis filed those forms and fees?  And why weren't those forms and fees filed when UnXis was created so that there would be no questions about what rights it has?

Why hasn't UnXis withdrawn the SCO v. Novell appeal?

Is The Open Group ready and willing to defend the UNIX trademarks?

I can easily see newSCO2 trying to take a degree of ownership of UNIX through a trademark battle.  The only significant difference that I can see between newSCO (Caldera) and newSCO2 (UnXis) right now is the absent Darl McBride and a different logo on the name badges.  Heck, even the company's domain name screams it: unxisco.com -- UNIX is SCO.

--Rich P.