laptops

I'd have to agree with Irvin about the HP laptops.  I've had enormous
trouble with the Linux sound drivers and getting it to recognize the
microphone for my consumer-grade "HP Pavilion Entertainment PC".  The
microphone is still a problem.  Also it tends to run hot, early battery
failure (probably due to the overheating problems plus Linux's brain-damaged
shutdown not always shutting down when you ask it to), failure of HP to
replace the battery when I sent it in to them for warranty service where
that was my main complaint.  And now it looks like I am heading for a second
fan replacement as it is starting to grind.  OT: anyone know where to obtain
quality aftermarket battery pack?  It is such a blind good that I am
contemplating soldering in new batteries of identifiable manufacture rather
than buying a no-name battery pack.

I've been impressed with the business grade thinkpads.

I guess if you pay ~$1800 for a laptop they use better quality components
and design than if you pay ~$699.