rebuilding laptop battery packs

On Apr 21, 2011, at 10:14 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Almost all laptops these days use Lithium Ion batteries, which are heat
> sensitive, and can pose an explosion danger if soldered to. The pros
> build packs using ultrasonic welding.

Yep.  Lithium-Polymer (Li-P) is more stable, easier to work with, but notably lower charge density than Li-I.

> Just think how much cheaper batteries would be if laptops, cameras, and
> power tools each used one of a handful of standard battery packs. (Less
> practical for things like cell phones and tablets, where a standard
> battery size would likely hold back advances in miniaturization.)

Actually, the industries already use standardized batteries.  Manufacturers like Motorola have a range of standardized battery sizes that their devices are designed to use.  Others like Apple have done away with the expense and "waste" of armor casings and power connectors entirely, but it still uses off the shelf batteries.

--Rich P.