Gnome 3 Discussions

On Apr 22, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Since Gnome 3 has been released, it was one of the topics in last
> Wednesday's BLU meeting,  and will be in the next releases of OpenSuSe
> 11.4, Fedora 15, Ubuntu 11.04**, I'd like to start a discussion on Gnome
> 3. I don't want a Gnome vs. KDE war, just a somewhat intelligent
> discussion from those of us who might have been using Gnome 3.
> Remember that people don't like changes or things that are different, if
> you have tried it out, opinions are valuable.

I played with gnome-shell off and on a fair bit about a year ago.
It was rather lacking in fit and finish, but had some interesting
stuff to it, looked promising.

Late last week, I finally revisited it for the first time in quite
a while, on a fresh Fedora 15 install. First impression: wow, this
is really clunky, non-intuitive to use, makes terrible use of screen
real estate and mouse button functionality. I think its actually a
bit *worse* than the last time I played with it. The user interface
animations are smoother and that, but soooo many other things just
make me wonder why anyone sane thought they were a good idea.

The default theme window title bars are WAY too thick, and there's
only a single button (close) now -- there's no obvious hint anywhere
for how to maximize a window (double-click the title bar or drag the
window all the way to the top menu bar for a few moments). There is
nothing on the desktop, and right-clicking on the desktop and on
most widgets either does nothing, or does the exact same thing as the
left mouse button.

Not sure, this might be at least as bad as, if not worse than, the
initial KDE 4 release. While I've seen some rather mixed reviews of
Unity, I can see why Canonical wasn't wild about Gnome 3. I think its
going to be a rough few months for both Unity and Gnome 3. Here's
hoping Gnome 3.2 is a significant improvement. In the mean time, I
think it might be time to revisit the latest KDE 4.x...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org