VSphere client on Linux

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
> Of Jerry Feldman
>
> > What I personally do is to run a windows VM for this purpose (and any
> other
> > purpose that requires windows.)
> >
> We're actually running ESX 4 Update 2. This machine was configured by
> our Toronto IT people, and other than physical access I don't yet know
> any of the passwords.

I'm sorry, what I meant was -
Because of expecting the vsphere client is only available to run on windows,
yet I'm not running windows on my laptop...  I run windows inside a VM on
the laptop, in order to run vsphere client on the laptop.

I am running ESXi 4u2, and if I simply browse to http://vmhost then there is
a download link for the windows vsphere client and no others.

Um...  Depending on what you want to do, certain operations including VM
guest startup & shutdown can be done via command line (for which a linux
client certainly does exist) or ssh command line (if you have sshd enabled
on the server), without using the vsphere client.

'Course it's best if you are able to get the root password on the server.
Cuz none of those clients are going to work unless you can login to the
server.