Core i5-2500k first impressions

I wrote:
> * The first-generation Core series chips ...

Actually, come to think of it, I need to clarify terms further:  we're
actually in the second generation of the Core "i" series.  There have now been
*3* generations of chips labeled Core, using sockets 775 (Core 2), 1156
(first-gen Core i3/i5) and now 1155 (second-gen Core i5).

The 1156 and 775 motherboards are now obsolete; look for 1155 unless you have
need for compatibility with old components.

Compatible releases; you'll need to check for kernel 2.6.37:

* Ubuntu 11.04 is due out in 3 days;
* Fedora 15 is due out in 29 days (beta out now probably works);
* OpenSUSE 11.4 came out on 10-Mar

I doubt the "enterprise" distros will catch up any time soon.  Oracle
Enterprise Linux (free download) distro is already at RHEL 6.0 but the kernel
is a moldy 2.6.32.  Mandriva, Linux Mint, CentOS all have catching up to do.

-rich