Core i5-2500k first impressions

On Apr 25, 2011, at 12:48 PM, Rich Braun wrote:

> I wrote:
>> * The first-generation Core series chips ...
>
> Actually, come to think of it, I need to clarify terms further:  we're
> actually in the second generation of the Core "i" series.  There have now been
> *3* generations of chips labeled Core, using sockets 775 (Core 2), 1156
> (first-gen Core i3/i5) and now 1155 (second-gen Core i5).
>
> The 1156 and 775 motherboards are now obsolete; look for 1155 unless you have
> need for compatibility with old components.

Further complicated by there now being both 1155 and 1366 core i7
processor variants out there... And apparently, for the high end
of the core i7, socket 1366 has been (or will be?) replaced by
FCPGA988, whatever that is...

> Compatible releases; you'll need to check for kernel 2.6.37:
>
> * Ubuntu 11.04 is due out in 3 days;
> * Fedora 15 is due out in 29 days (beta out now probably works);
> * OpenSUSE 11.4 came out on 10-Mar
>
> I doubt the "enterprise" distros will catch up any time soon.  Oracle
> Enterprise Linux (free download) distro is already at RHEL 6.0 but the kernel
> is a moldy 2.6.32.

Um. I think you're failing to comprehend some of what it is that you
actually get from "enterprise" distros. Such as, backported support
for new hardware. Which the vendors of said "enterprise" distros
have access to long before you do.

/me glances at a socket 1155 Sandy Bridge system that has been in
the office for at least 6 months, and runs even RHEL5's latest
2.6.18 kernel just fine.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org