From: Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
To: discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Sent: Thu, April 28, 2011 7:41:31 AM
Subject: Re: Fedora 14 -- Hard Drive Temperature over 60 C.

On 04/26/2011 04:05 PM, Hsuan-Yeh Chang wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have Fedora 14 on my laptop (HP Pavillion dv2000), and it makes my hard drive
>
> (Seagate) generates a lot of heat:
>

>    # hddtemp /dev/sda
>    /dev/sda: ST9250315AS: 62?C
>
> Any suggestions on how to make my hard drive spin down or cool down?  Thanks!
I'm not an expert on this one. Make sure that all the cooling ducts are
free of dust. You might want to take the laptop apart and clean it.
Here is a maintenance manual
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035657.pdf

Also make sure you don't have any applications running that continually
use the HDD. Dynamic backgrounds or screen savers will do that. Check
your power settings (Preferences/Power Management). There is an option
to spin down the HDD.

Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846